Monday, June 29, 2020

Estella Adeyeri from Big Joanie / Decolonise Fest



Name: Estella Adeyeri
Website: https://linktr.ee/EstellaAdeyeri
Bandcamp Collection: https://bandcamp.com/estellaadeyeri

recommendations:



Meet Me @ The Altar - Bigger Than Me
This is a brilliant EP of pure pop punk/emo hits, and it's easy to see why fans think they'd fit in perfectly on a label like Fueled By Ramen. I listen to 'Sane' on the regular.

Steffi - Girlhood
It's a joy to listen to the music Steph's created on her own! This is a cool EP, different to what we've made in Big Joanie, and you can hear the influences of Steph's favourite artists like Throwing Muses. I love 'Nowhere'.

Jessica Ashman - Just Feel
This is a great experimental track created by Jess during lockdown, in the wake of the cruel and unjust murder of George Floyd by law enforcement. All proceeds from it are going to the UK QTIBIPOC Hardship fund.

NNAMDÏ - Black Plight
I bought this on recommendation last Bandcamp Day and I'm really glad I did - again it addresses the racial injustice thrust into the spotlight after George Floyd, set to a soundtrack of jagged guitar lines, heavy, cathartic drumming, and lyrics that expose the harsh truths of America in 2020.

Nekra - Demo 2017
This is still one of my favourites in my collection and I will continue to add it to lists until the next Nekra release. It's a short dose of thrilling hardcore from an awesome band.

No Home - Fucking Hell
Okay I don't actually own this yet because I'm waiting for Bandcamp day to buy it! I do have all of No Home's previous releases though. This album really expands upon their penchant for genre-defying, hypnotic music making - and it's awesome to hear additional synths and electronic sounds morphing tracks from my familiar expectations, having heard some of them live. At the moment 'A B- In This Economy' is my fave but that might change as I spend more time with this brilliant record!



No comments:

Post a Comment